Thursday, July 19, 2012

Homemade Frozen Entrees

Shaun and I both have a tendency to procrastinate and then when we are hungry at 7pm we have nothing to eat so we end up eating out or getting take out or buying microwave meals. Also, I leave for work at 6am and only give myself about 10-15 mins to get ready and leave for work, so I never eat breakfast at home and love to just grab something to eat in the car on the way to work. Because of our procrastination and sleeping in, I spent most of my day off making foods that I could freeze and then microwave and eat later. Some of these ideas I got off pinterest, some I've been making for a while, and some recipes I just kinda threw what I had in my kitchen together and it turned out pretty yummy!

 

Buffalo chicken wraps:


I'm obsessed with anything buffalo flavored, so I found a recipe for shredded buffalo chicken sandwiches and just converted it to wraps that I could freeze for a later date! Here is the recipe for the pulled buffalo chicken sandwiches: http://mykitchenapron.blogspot.com/2011/07/crock-pot-buffalo-chicken.html I didn't have the ranch dip mix packet, so I made it without the ranch mix and just put ranch dressing on the wrap before I rolled it up.
Ingredients:
3 lb bag of frozen chicken
1 bottle Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1 package whole wheat tortillas
Ranch dressing

Place all ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for 6 or 7 hours until the chicken shreds easily. Removed chicken from crock pot, shred and place on a whole wheat tortilla and place ranch on top. Roll into wrap, wrap in saran wrap, and place in freezer. When ready to enjoy, defrost in fridge the night before and microwave for approx 30 seconds, or just place frozen wrap in microwave for 1-2 minutes. Enjoy!



Breakfast Burritos:

These only took me about 30mins to make, and I made two batches. These will be good to freeze and then microwave to eat on my way to work.

Ingredients:
10 whole wheat tortillas
12 large eggs
1/4 c. milk
1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c. bacon bits
hot sauce opt.






Scramble eggs, milk, cheese and bacon bits in a large frying pan. Once cooked, add hot sauce and set aside to cool. Place in tortilla and roll up to make burrito. It makes approximately 8-10 burritos depending on how big you make them. Wrap in saran wrap and freeze! When ready to use, take desired amount out and place in refrigerator the night before. In the morning,
 just microwave for 30-60 secs and enjoy!

Tip: for all my wraps I like to line them up with the last fold down on the edge of a cookie sheet, this keeps them rolled up :)








Instant oatmeal:

These were so easy to make, just throw the dry ingredients into a bag and store in your pantry for when you want to bring oatmeal into work. It also works really good for camping! I just used what I found in my kitchen and it is so much cheaper than buying the instant oatmeal packets at the store.




Ingredients per pouch:

1/2 c. quick oats
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp craisins

When you are ready to eat, just add hot water!



 

 

Chicken enchiladas:

This is a combination of a recipe given to me from a friend and just adding whatever sounded good. Perfect for microwaving on days when we have nothing to eat for dinner.




Ingredients:

1 can/bottle of your favorite beer
2-3 cups of green chili
1 tbsp fajita seasoning
4 chicken breasts (I used frozen chicken)
1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Place chicken, beer, 1/2 cup green chili, and fajita seasoning in crock pot. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken shreds easily (I know the picture shows it cooking on high, I was pressed for time, it took only about 4-5 hours and the chicken was just as tender). Removed chicken from crock pot, shred, and place in separate bowl or back into crock pot after the extra liquid is drained. Add the rest of the green chili, to your taste and stir. Place the chicken and green chili on a tortilla, cover with cheese to your liking. Roll up and wrap in saran wrap. Freeze until you are ready to eat and then just pop it in the microwave. I recommend smothering it in more green chili before you microwave, and for more flavor add sour cream (or nonfat plain greek yogurt ).










 

 

Muffins:


I found this muffin recipe on pinterest and absolutely love it! Here is the link: http://travisjessjones.blogspot.com/2012/03/banana-oatmeal-muffins.html
I make these ahead of time, freeze them, and then defrost them in the refrigerator the night before I work. In the morning just grab and go, or you could warm it up in the microwave if you like.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cup oats (old fashioned kind, not quick cooking)
1 cup plain low fat greek yogurt
2 eggs
3/4 cup sweetener of choice or 2 tbs stevia
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 bananas
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or line muffin tins with silicone or foil liners (paper liners don't work with a base that doesn't include flour). Blend all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor, and blend until oats are smooth (I have a pretty old blender so I found it easiest to add all of the liquid ingredients and then slowly add the dry ones). Divide batter among cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

The front ones are the second batch I made (I forgot baking soda in the first batch [top left], oops! They still taste the same they are just not as fluffy and more of a banana bread consistency)

Homemade uncrustables:

Another super easy recipe. Just use the whole wheat sandwich thins, spread peanut butter and jelly on them and freeze. These are great for lunch on the go or a snack!
























 


No comments:

Post a Comment